First up, I really hated that Windows ad campaign “That was my idea”. No, it wasn’t. It was someone else who probaly worked for Apple, MIT, Microsoft or Xerox. It wasn’t your idea and claiming it is is lying. Stop it.
Anyway, that’s the title rant over. So they previewed the iPad 2 yesterday. I watched the video and found myself nodding and ticking off mental tick-boxes in the sky. Tick boxes put there by my dull disappointment at the original iPad. I wasn’t just “not fussed”, I actively didn’t like it. I detailed them in my snappily named post “20 reasons why the iPad sucks“. Interestingly, Googling “iPad sucks” (in quotes) you get 39,700 exact matches. “Mac sucks” gets 35,600 and “iPod sucks” gets 43,000. So a device that’s been out barely a year has roughly the same amount of “sucks” as a product from the same company that has been out for 10 years (iPod) and 37 years (Mac). Not very scientific but I clearly wasn’t alone.
So iPad 2. How did it stack up against my original gripe list?
1) It’s heavy. Fixed
2) It’s sharp and hurts. Fixed
3) It’s hard to hold. Not Fixed
4) It spins. Fixed
5) It’s symmetrical Not Fixed
6) It’s not stereo. Not Fixed
7) It takes AGES to recharge. Unknown
8 ) It has flaky Wifi. Fixed
9) It looks obvious. Not Fixed
10) It doesn’t play Flash. Not Fixed
11) It crashes. Unknown
12) The menu is too airy. Not Fixed
14) The keyboard tries too hard. Not Fixed
15) It has no Word Processor. Not Fixed
16) It has no cover. Fixed-ish
17) It’s not so portable. Fixed-ish
18) It doesn’t have a stand. Fixed-ish
19) It has no camera. Fixed
20) It’s not so new. Fixed
So that’s a very scientific…
Not Fixed: 8
So will I buy one yet? The Flash thing is still a bit of a stinker for me. And a few of the things I’d like to do using HTML are still painfully awkward (online timesheets or weekly shop).
But it has PhotoBooth! My kids will love it and make the same daft video and faces they don on my mac. So, if I managed to get enough money together or not go on holiday this year, you know what, yes, probably! So that’s nice. The world can sleep easy tonight.